Baigan Bharta is very famous Punjabi curry ,charcoal roasted eggplant with blended spices and tomatoes adding to its rich taste.
There has been slight difference the way Southindians use this eggplant from Northindians
A simple stove burnt eggplant , pealed, crushed and cooked with tamarind juice,
green chilies called as "Vankaya Bajji" from south .
Whereas north , we blend with lot flavorful spices and make it as bharta. Here is the recipe of Biagan Bharta which goes easy , tasty with rotis,chapatis.
- Eggplant/Baingan-1 big size
- Onions-2-finely chopped
- tomatoes-2 finely chopped
- green chilies- 2
- Frozen Green peas-1 small cup(optional)
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp
- coriander powder-1 tbsp
- Garam masala-1 tbsp
- coriander leaves-bunch
- salt- as needed
- turmeric powder- 1/2 tbsp
- red chilly powder-1 tbsp
- Burn the Egg plant directly on stove on low flame.Once you notice this eggplant turning fluffy, soft take of the stove.
- Peel off the skin once it is cooled, mash it properly with the help of a masher.
- In a pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste,chopped onions, tomatoes, green peas(cooked/frozen),green chilies, coriander leaves and fry them for about 5 minutes.
- Now take the smashed eggplant/baingan and pour into the pan, also add Garam masala,coriander powder, red chilly powder, salt and cook it till all the ingredients gets blended finely. you can add little water if you don't like your gravy to be too thick.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot rotis, chapathis.
|Yummy Baingan bharta with chapatis|