|CHOPPED DOSKAYA/YELLOW MELON CUCUMBER|
A well prepared Dosa Avakaya/Cucumber pickle will stay well for almost 10-15 days.
This is a recipe I learnt from my Moms kitchen, where in she is a specialist in preparing such Pickles.No one could beat her in the taste she gets on doing such spicy , yummy pickles.Here I must quote, my husband always recites us as pickle family for having at least one such recipe in our everyday meal.
cooking process and ingredients needed for doing this pickle.
Measurements taken here gives you roughly 250 gms of pickle.
- Dosakaya/Yellow Cucumber-1 cup
- Mustard Powder-2 Tbsp
- fenugreek powder- 1/2 tbsp
- turmeric- 1tbsp
- Red Chilly powder-3-4 tbsp
- Salt-2-3 tbsp
- Mustard oil-1tbsp
- Tamarind-lemon size
- Cooking oil-2-3 tbsp
For Mustard Powder-dry roast mustard and also add 1/2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds and blend them in mixer grinder thoroughly.
- Cut the cleanly washed dry Dosakaya/yellow cucumber in small pieces along with skin as shown above and place in round shaped vessel
- Add 1 tbsp of turmeric powder and leave it for 2-3 minutes(any left over water contents in this vegetable will be absorbed by adding turmeric powder )
- Now add Salt, chilly powder,and mustard Powder.
- Soak tamarind for 10-15min and squeeze thick juice from soaked tamarind.
- In a small Pan , add oil mustard seeds,red chillies,hing powder and let them crackle.allow it cool for a while.
- Now add this oil to the contents in the vessel wherein you added chilly powder, mustard powder for chopped dosakaya/cucumber.
- Now add 1tbsp of mustard oil and stir it thoroughly.
|Chopped cucumber with chilly powder,salt,mustard fenugreek powder|
|Thick Tamarind juice|
Thats about it..here is your spicy,yummy pickle ready.Store it in a tight container , goes well with hot rice served with ghee and also for rotis.