|Totakura Pappu/Amaranths Dal|
These leaves are called Amaranth leaves in English. In Andhra we call as Thotakura.
- 1 cup thur dal
- Finely chopped Amaranth leaves
- 2-3 green chillies
- Finely chopped tomato
- Garlic/Onion -Optional I haven't added
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Red Chilies
- Add cleanly washed and chopped Amaranth leaves,Tomatoes,green chilies and Thur dal in a round bottomed vessel and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Now take oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,Jeera,red chilies Curry leaves,Turmeric Powder and when they starts spluttering add this to the cooked dal.
- Adjust the flavors accordingly by adding salt and chilly powder and cook for 2-3 minutes .This goes well with Chapatis/Hot rice.
This one is for those who think the By Boiling these leaves it fades of all the needed nutritious content from them.
- Cook Thur Dal in pressure cooker for 3-4 Whistles.
- Now take round coated vessel and add some oil.
- Once the oil gets heated, add Turmeric powder,Curry leaves,Mustard seeds, Cumin,Red Chilies chopped green chillies and finally finely chopped Amaranth/Thotakura Leaves.
- Sprinkle some salted water and cover it with lid, Once you can sense the flavor of these leaves getting finely cooked add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 10-15min.
- Once you touch the leaves, you get very softy touch so that one can decide these leaves are cooked finely.
- Now Add the cooked Thur dal,Salt,chilly powder accordingly and stir it thoroughly for some time.
That's about it...Tasty Dal is ready :)