I was not a big fan of mushrooms. i wanted to try some thing with mushrooms after buying a fresh lot from grocery stores.After googling for what does this weird looking veggie(?? ,well no offence mushroom lovers.. i was not sure at some point of time if this a vegetarian ) ,i wondered at the healthy benefits and nutrition .
This is a one pot recipe ,for those weekends or dinners . Once you prep the veggies and added all that your rice cooker,you can sit back and relax.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
Mushrooms - 2 cups
Onions - 2 big,sliced thinly
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup (its optional, but i like more veggies you can add anything from carrots,green peas,corn,beans cauliflower etc)
Basmati Rice or long grain rice- 2 cups
ingredients for Marinating
yogurt - 1/2 cup
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder/paprika - 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp (optional ,add pulav masala if you don't have this)
Salt to taste
lemon juice - 2 tsp
Mint and Coriander leaves - handful
Pulav Masala :
Cinnamon - 1' stick
Cloves - 2-3
Cardamom - 1
Star Anise - 1
Shahjeera - 1/2 tsp (i used jeera ,as i'm short on shajeera)
corriander seeds - 1tsp
pepper corns -3 to 4
dry roast all these and grind it to a powder. or you can use store bought masala
For the seasoning
any Oil+Ghee /butter - 3- 4 tbsp (be little bit generous here ,as it helps rice to become non-sticky)
1.chop mushrooms big pieces ,add yogurt and all the ingredients listed under list mix well and let it stand for 15-20 mins
2. soak rice for 10 mins and then drain and keep aside.
3 prep all the veggies you are adding.
4. Hear oil in a thick bottom pan/ stock pot/pressure Cooker . add onion pieces ,marinated mushrooms. let it cook well. add mixed vegetables ,pulav masala powder
mix well. Adjust salt ,add as required. now add drained rice.
4. if you want to use electric cooker ,now transfer all these contents to cooker and add water.
5. water quantity depends on the rice you are using. in general for 1 cup rice add 1 and 1/2th cup of water. less than if you cook rice normally (1:2 ratio)
6. if using stockpot Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes ,till the water is fully absorbed , if using pressure cooker ,till 2 whistles
Switch off the flame and leave it undisturbed for another 15 minutes.
Open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
7. for garnishing add chopped cilantro leaves ,mint leaves .You can top it with fried onions /broccoli etc.
this can be eaten as it is. or with Raita.
this is my entry to foodabulous event ,click here for more details